Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Roma, Roma... Oh Roma

My trip here was not easy nor enjoyable, but I made it.
I flew from Miami to Newark,N.J. airport fairly well and on time. I was excited for my next flight from N.J. to London. However, this was not to turn out pleasant. From N.J. to London, a supposed 8 hr. flight, we ran out of fuel, landed at another airport in England AND had to wait in the plane an extra two hours before flying back to the airport we were supposed to. What did this mean? That we had a 12 hr. flight and therefore, missed our connective flight from London to Rome... oh boy. This is where the fun begins. Since we missed it, we had to rebook, meaning I was left to wait almost 6 hrs for the next flight. Meanwhile, the program I was with, didn't guarantee me a pick-up shuttle if I didnt arrive by the hours of service from the Roman airport... again, oh boy. Complications? Definitely. So what to do? Stay in London overnight? or just take the flight to Rome and not know if I had a place to stay? Andiamo! (let's go!) I ended up taking it and after almost 48 hrs of backed-up travel. I made it to Rome...without my 2 luggage bags, of course. So now what?
First things first, I got to Rome exhausted, a bit helpless but still optimistic. The shuttle bus did indeed end up picking me up, but it left me twice at the wrong stop at 1 am... he then finally got the address right. A once fragile, this-side-up package, now delivered as a half-broken, upside-down, oops-dropped-3-times bundle. In all honesty, I was happy to just get to this apt where my other 6 other roomies were already asleep. They are from all over the U.S. and lovely in every sense of the word. I got very lucky. It should be mentioned that this whole time I had a trooper with me. The other roomie who actually sleeps in the same room with me, who accompanied me through this whole journey from Miami, the amazing Mariana Diaz.
We got through that trip and felt like we could take on anything. The next day we realized that we had much to take care of, such as check in papers and ..oh yea our luggage bags! In a nutshell, the airlines couldn't find our bags, reference numbers or even names. Mariana's mother through luck and perseverance got it all done and had our bags delivered to us in two days.
Jump ahead 4 days, when I thought the fun would begin... I got terribly sick. Some would call it a 24-hr-bug.
I ate the night before, happily i might add, pasta arrabiata (angry sauce) and then followed the meal with a gelato. So basically a pasta sauce full of chilis and then strong dairy to end the night, how could I not have anticipated the results. 6 a.m. came and the hell abrupted inside my tummy. Don't imagine what I had but think instead of what I did not have. Yes, that bad. However, 2 days after... here I am strong, and in recovery. I have attended 3 of my classes, since today is the first week of classes. I cannot explain how intrigued I am with my Theories of Personality class. This class "self-fulfills" me. I have plans to travel to Milano and Venezia soon. Oh boy... let the traveling begin. Come for the ride, I'll keep you updated.