Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My favorite city so far: MADRID!!!

I fell in love in Europe, not with a man but with a city called Madrid!!! I went to Madrid the second week in April and I knew I would like it because ... well, it was simply a gut feeling. I got there and let me just tell you, dear reader that I did not want to come back! I actually skipped my flight back and extended my trip three days. I couldn't say goodbye. I think I left a piece of my heart back there. My roommate (a.k.a my right hand) and I, Mariana were figuring out ways of making money there... We were considering teaching English and just staying there...forever. haha. Any way, it was a  glorious city. I'm considering going back some time soon... very soon. When I got there, it's a good sign when the airport is clean, easy to access and BIG! Mariana and I met up with her aunt and uncle who then drove us 20 minutes away from the city to their lovely home. The next few days we were tourists. We went to all the popular locations, ate menu of the day and had sangria in a plaza in the middle of the day, fabulous!
As if the days weren't perfect, nighttime was even better. Madrid is known for going out late. The streets fill up around 2am and then people go out. CRAZY! but GREAT! the transportation is soooo easy to use, no graffiti and sooo clean. I couldn't remember what a clean city looked like until I went to Madrid. The cops are respected. The women can go out at whatever time they please and wear what ever they please without being harassed! the security was impressive and people's manners as well. Amazing to see a young woman walking the streets by herself or on a metro because I'm now used to Rome's aggressive and persistent harassers. It was very nice, refreshing. I enjoyed every minute of it. We went to one of the biggest theaters in Europe, we saw it all. The amount of parks and the way they were set up was also impressive. What a beautiful city.
A combination of old architecture with modern technology, perfect. I said to myself, "I can live here." Seriously, every one belongs there. I was explained the politics behind it all and how people like to pay their taxes because the government is not corrupt or let's say as corrupt as most. People see where their taxes go, unlike Italy people find loop holes each year to avoid paying. This was a nice change. Like I said, "I could live there...." I'm going to Barcelona April 30th. I've been there before, 4 years ago. But this time, my cousin lives there. Can't wait. Stay tuned.... *whispering* I think I'll still prefer Madrid.