Tuesday, August 11, 2009

South Florida Print Media Outlets

I dial, it rings and then an automated voice gives me my options... i always skip the intro and dial zero.

Yes operator, i need you. I ask for an editor or i ask the operator (normally a her) to direct me in the right direction.
The editor answers with a talk-quick-i'm-busy tone and i try to squeeze my two-minute explanation into a two-sentence question.

Today, like every day, the receptionist answers with a greeting so cranky that it almost makes me want to go over there and give her a coconut popsicle(at least that's what always cheers me up). After she transfers me, unless she puts you on hold for a minute and then picks up where she left off by asking you once again what you needed, you get an editor,and if not you get what i kept getting today. I kept getting transferred to a voicemail box so encouraging that not even the editor's mother would have left a message. So no, if that wasn't clear enough, i didn't leave any voicemails. If i ever did get answers back from them, i would always gladly leave my voice on a recorder.

They all talk to me the same: Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald, South Florida Business Journal, Daily Business Review, Sun Sentinel, Hispanic Market Weekly, Diario Las Americas.... i can go on but i'm sure you got the idea.
They don't want to talk to see who they are dealing with, instead they want an email. Why exactly? to be more efficient? to not have to confront directly? to leave it for later? I believe there are a number of reasons. Not all reasons have to apply. I do know one thing, the email follow up can take an eternity. I wish calling was just as important. To hear the tone and sound of the person's voice is so much more personal, so clicheeee! but no, the phone is not preferable to them.

By the way, if you're wondering if the Spanish publications are nicer? more accommodating?
Easy answer: No.

Editors... must you make it sound, feel and look as if you have better things to do. If your deadlines can't wait, get an assistant. After all, without our press releases what work would you have to edit or run.

Good day.