Friday, June 18, 2010

Wouldn't This World Be Better If....

...... if people would self analyze themselves once in a while. Take a month to just notice their patterns, way of thinking and their own strategy of ignoring what they don't like, such as defense mechanisms.  And why they use only a certain type of defense mechanism against past memories, current thoughts and/or possibly the idea of the future.

I feel like this month has passed by so fast... and I just realized something.We use the word "feel" in a sentence in an interesting way sometimes. In this first sentence, I said, "I feel like..." but I did not put in a feeling, I put a thought. A feeling is anger, happiness, depression, etc. A thought is supposed to be used with the word "think." And yet, I'm sure you have used it the way I just did. It's accepted and common... It's just as my Theories of Personality professor,Dr. Crocco, in Rome said, people like to feel rather than think. An example I've said before, "I feel like it's going to rain today." And no one questions me... Is it because I really "feel" it or because I don't want to be held accountable if it doesn't rain? Something to think about.
It's the middle of June and I feel like I'm at a good point in my life. I know who I am,  who I want to be and the kind of people I want to surround myself with. I know what I like about myself and what I think are bad traits....How have I decided or concluded that they are in the bad traits category? Easy. The traits that keep me from advancing that are constantly brought to my attention from others in a negative light or that I notice restrain me, such as a high level of neuroticism. It is one of the five major personality traits (where personality types come from) and among the many characteristics it involves having a high stress constantly because of the way I analyze things and measure them mentally.
If you don't know who you are, how do you expect to self actualize? To be your highest potential? And to understand why you and others react the way they do. So many arguments, frustrations and depressive thoughts could be avoided. In reality... Someone Will Always Be Better Off And  Worse Off Than You.

We are not doomed, we as humans like to believe in hope and maybe that's what has ensured our survival.
It's a good feeling... that feeling of being at peace with oneself. After my study abroad experience, I think I know what I want out of my future and how to accomplish it little by little. I feel at ease with the unknown and for once, I'm embracing it. I don't feel bored or anxious.
And you know what? This summer seems promising. I've already encountered some unexpected occurrences. They have been incredibly welcomed by me and I'm glad they came my way. In August, I not only start my last semester at UF, but I also get to go see my family in Colombia. yay for me.
So reader, do you know who YOU are?

Cheers!