Monday, June 7, 2010

As the 22nd Birthday Approaches

It's no secret birthdays make promises. They promise us to come every year and change our physical appearance as they pass. They don't tell you what you will end up doing when they arrive or if it'll be unforgettable but nevertheless, they do promise to come. I'm turning 22 and it hasn't hit me. Am i saddened? worried? excited? nonchalant? My response: Not sure.

I have friends that look forward to each birthday no matter their age and others who fear the passing year because it will mean they are older. I am reluctant to think of it as either positive or negative. I think I'll embrace it and call it a day. If I embrace it, then shouldn't I plan some kind of event for its arrival? I have yet to think of what to do, who to invite or what kind of event it'll be. Loud, private, grandiose or simple? I do hope I come up with something soon for I only have 8 days left. I remember the days when I could not sleep because the next day was my birthday. My mother would laugh and tell me that it wouldn't be my birthday if I didn't close my eyes so that the sun could rise. I believe the reason my birthdays bring out in me some sort of discussion is simply because my mother made them special for me. Had my mother just given me a card or ice cream maybe and most probably I would not be analyzing this topic. She always had something up her sleeve and made the day feel as if it were Christmas without Santa. I hope to never lose the birthday spirit because making days count should never have to only come from holidays.

Maybe we should create our own special day. Not a birthday, not Christmas, not a religious day, not an anniversary but a day that would make me appreciate being alive. We would all like to say, appreciate every day, make every day count but seriously, who does that? It's like asking for world peace. Sorry, but we all have bad days. And if we loved every day then we would not appreciate the good days because all 365 would be wonderful. Which in turn makes me think of what my perfect day would be.....What would your perfect day be?